Sports injury care in Richmond, Virginia
Don't let yourself be sidelined because of a sports or exercise injury. Get back in the game and to your daily routine with central Virginia's premier orthopedic and sports medicine team at The Orthopedic Hospital at Parham Doctors' Hospital in Henrico County.
Contact our Consult-A-Nurse® team at (804) 320-3627 to learn more about sports medicine care at Parham Doctors' Hospital.
At The Orthopedic Hospital, we offer individualized evaluation, rehabilitation, treatment and injury-prevention plans for athletes, active adults and weekend warriors. Our multidisciplinary team of healthcare professionals includes sports medicine specialists, fellowship-trained orthopedic surgeons and licensed physical therapists with extensive experience in rehabilitating sports- and exercise-related injuries.
Comprehensive orthopedic sports medicine care
You don't have to be a professional athlete to be treated like one. At The Orthopedic Hospital at Parham Doctors' Hospital, our patients continuously give us high scores in satisfaction because we offer:
- Recognition for excellence and quality—Healthgrades™, a leader in making information about physicians and hospitals more accessible and transparent, named us among America's 100 Best Hospital's for Orthopedic Surgery™ in 2019. Additionally, we received the 2019 Orthopedic Surgery Excellence Award™ and 2019 Joint Replacement Excellence Award™ from Healthgrades™.
- Combined expertise of teams working for you—Our patients benefit from shared clinical expertise of board-certified primary care sports medicine physicians, fellowship-trained orthopedic surgeons and licensed therapists.
- Comprehensive services, all in one place—At Parham Doctors' Hospital, you can receive all the care you need in one place, from one team, including advanced diagnostics, therapy and rehabilitation, surgery and pain management programs.
- Compassionate care throughout the journey—Our team is here with you every step of the way with case management and care coordination that is customized to your needs.
- Convenient location—The Orthopedic Hospital is conveniently located on the main campus of Parham Doctors' Hospital.
- Care in a full-service hospital setting—If you need surgery, it is at a full-service hospital with all the amenities you need for a comfortable recovery.
Exercise- and sports-related injuries we treat
At The Orthopedic Hospital at Parham Doctors' Hospital, we care for a range of conditions resulting from sports injuries. Our goals are to help prevent further injuries and provide cutting-edge treatments. Common sports-related conditions and injuries we treat include:
- Foot and ankle injuries and pain—Ankle sprains, high ankle sprains, Achilles tendon injuries, stress fractures and ligament inflammation (plantar fasciitis)
- Back and spine injuries and pain—Muscle strain, ligament sprain, disc disorders and fractures
- Concussions—Traumatic impact to the head causing dizziness, drowsiness, blurry vision and other symptoms
- Hand and upper extremity injuries and pain
- Elbow injuries and pain—Ligament tears, such as tennis or golf elbow, bursitis, dislocation and tendon ruptures
- Should injuries and pain—Labral tears of cartilage, dislocations, rotator cuff tears, biceps injuries, nerve impingement and fractures
- Hand and wrist injuries and pain—Ligament tears, tendinitis, nerve injuries and stress fractures
- Hip injuries and pain—Hip pointer or contusion, hip flexor strain, labral tears of cartilage, quadriceps strains, dislocations and bursitis
- Knee injuries and pain—Anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) and posterior cruciate ligament (PCL) tears, meniscus tears, jumper's knee (patellar tendinitis) and patellofemoral syndrome
Sports injury services in Henrico County
The Orthopedic Hospital at Parham Doctors' Hospital offers nonsurgical, surgical and rehabilitative therapies to get you back in the game and reduce your risk for re-injury. If you do require surgery, our expert orthopedic surgeons and neurosurgeons are readily available to provide the care you need.
Nonsurgical sports injury care
The Orthopedic Hospital offers the following nonsurgical sports-related injury treatments and services:
- Physical therapy and rehabilitation—We implement physical therapy and rehab either as a first line of treatment or following surgery to restore strength, movement and endurance. Our multidisciplinary team helps you manage pain and prevent further damage or re-injury with customized programs.
- Pain management therapies—We offer a number of methods to manage pain, including injections, selective nerve root blocks, platelet-rich plasma (PRP) and nerve stimulation techniques.
- Concussion management—Our experienced doctors recognize the symptoms of concussions. We offer neurological evaluation and clearance to return to activity safely.
- Sports injury prevention and safety—Our customized safety programs help you use proper techniques to avoid injury. Our programs range from gait analysis for runners to tips for protecting your shoulder while playing golf.
- Sports physicals—We offer medical evaluation to ensure your student athlete is healthy and ready for safe play.
Sports injury surgery
Our orthopedic surgeons at The Orthopedic Hospital at Parham Doctors' Hospital are trained in both traditional and minimally invasive surgical techniques. We specialize in minimally invasive arthroscopic surgery, which involves small incisions and inserting a lighted tube into the joint. This method allows surgeons to diagnose your condition and perform a variety of procedures on ligaments, bones, cartilage and tendons.
Common sports-related, orthopedic surgeries we perform include:
- Cartilage reconstruction—A procedure to repair or replace cartilage loss or damage in the knees using innovative surgical techniques.
- Elbow tendon repair—A procedure to reattach the distal biceps tendon to the lower arm.
- Knee ligament repair and reconstruction—These are procedures to correct injuries of the anterior cruciate ligament (ACL), posterior cruciate ligament (PCL), medial collateral ligament (MCL) and the lateral collateral ligament (LLC).
- Joint replacement— These are procedures that replace joint surfaces with artificial implants, including shoulder replacement, hip replacement and knee replacement.
- Meniscus surgery—A procedure to trim or remove torn cartilage in the knee.
- Rotator cuff shoulder repair—A procedure to reattach the tendon to the upper arm bone in a complete tear. In a partial tear, the surgeon trims and smooths the tendon and bone.
- Tommy John surgery—A procedure to replace an injured ulnar collateral ligament in the elbow with a tendon taken from another part of the body.