Top choice for shoulder replacement surgery in Richmond
Are you experiencing chronic shoulder pain that is keeping you from living your daily life to the fullest? The orthopedic surgeons at The Orthopedic Hospital at Parham Doctors' Hospital offer shoulder replacement surgery to help you return to a pain-free lifestyle.
Call our Consult-A-Nurse® team at (804) 320-3627 to learn more about the shoulder replacement surgery options at Parham Doctors' Hospital.
Shoulder replacement surgery, also called shoulder arthroplasty, relieves shoulder pain resulting from severe arthritis or injury and restores proper range of motion to the shoulder joint. The procedure involves implanting part or all of a prosthetic, or artificial, ball-and-socket device made from metal and plastic to replace the damaged joint.
When you have shoulder replacement surgery at a full-service hospital like Parham Doctors' Hospital, you gain access to comprehensive hospital services, should you need them. At Parham Doctors' Hospital, we offer innovative procedures and personalized care from a whole team dedicated to your health before, during and after surgery.
Am I a candidate for shoulder replacement surgery?
If you experience one or more of the following, you may be a candidate for shoulder joint replacement surgery.
- You experience shoulder pain or stiffness that interferes with your daily life.
- You have pain that wakes you up at night.
- You are unable to move your arms above your head or have limited range of motion.
- You have tried nonsurgical treatments, such as medicines, physical therapy and injections, without success.
Types of shoulder replacement surgery
Our orthopedic team offers patients options for pain relief and improved function, including patients with failed shoulder fracture surgery and rotator cuff tears. We provide a number of shoulder replacement surgical options, so we can tailor treatment to your specific condition. We offer the following procedures:
- Total shoulder replacement—This procedure replaces the ball of the arm bone and socket of the shoulder blade with prosthetic pieces after the removal of damaged cartilage and bone.
- Partial shoulder replacement—In this procedure, only the ball portion of the joint is replaced. This procedure is an option when the shoulder socket is still in good condition. It is also called a hemiarthroplasty.
- Shoulder replacement revision—This procedure repairs issues or unresolved pain resulting from a previous shoulder replacement surgery.
- Reverse shoulder replacement—In this procedure, the ball-and-socket joint is flipped, reversing the natural positioning. The ball is placed in the socket's normal position, and the socket is placed in the ball's normal position.
Comprehensive joint replacement program
At The Orthopedic Hospital, we use a multidisciplinary, team-based approach to joint replacement care. We want each patient to be able to return to the lifestyle he or she deserves, without pain. Patients choose Parham Doctors' Hospital for:
- Comprehensive preoperative education—To help ease patient anxiety before surgery, we offer a comprehensive joint replacement orientation, which includes an inside look at our facility and what to expect before, during and after shoulder replacement surgery.
- Care throughout the joint replacement journey—Our specialists and support staff are here every step of the way with case management and care coordination customized to each patient's needs.
- Specialized programs before and after surgery—We provide inpatient and outpatient physical therapy and rehabilitation for shoulder replacement patients, all under one roof.
- Fellowship-trained, board-certified orthopedic specialists—Your orthopedic care comes from board-certified doctors and orthopedic surgeons. Many of our doctors are also fellowship trained in their respective fields.
Hugh's Story - Orthopedic Shoulder Surgery at Parham Doctors' Hospital
Orthopedics - Parham Doctors' Hospital
Recent Innovations in Joint Replacements - Dr. Cyrus Kump - Neighborhood Health Watch
Doc Minute - Tommy's Shoulder Replacement Story