Primary care providers in Richmond, Virginia
Parham Doctors' Hospital proudly employs and partners with the best providers and primary care physicians in and around Richmond. Many physicians offer same-day services, such as sick visits, extended weekday and weekend hours and on-site laboratory processing.Book an appointment with a primary care provider today
All of the providers and primary care physicians within the HCA Virginia network offer high-quality, personalized care and work closely with our hospitals and imaging centers if your condition requires more specialized attention.
Call our Consult-A-Nurse® team at (804) 320-3627 to learn more about primary care services offered through Parham Doctors' Hospital.
Primary care services
The primary care providers at Parham Doctors' Hospital offer a wide range of preventive and medical services, including:
- Complete physical exams
- Wellness and preventive medicine
- Same-day sick visits
- Disease prevention and treatment
- Well-woman care
- Newborn and pediatric care
- Geriatric counseling and services
- School and sports physicals
- Preoperative exams
- Family planning services
- Chronic disease management
One of the most important roles your primary care provider plays is the facilitator of your preventive screenings, such as screenings for diabetes, various cancers, blood pressure and cholesterol levels and other conditions that can develop slowly but evolve into long-term problems.
You primary care physician also provides annual vaccinations for diseases, like the flu. To learn more about preventive screenings and how often certain screenings are recommended, visit U.S. Preventive Services.
Types of primary care providers
Different types of primary care physicians offer different services and areas of specialization. Your stage of life and medical needs will help determine which is right for you, but here is a quick reference guide to help you get started:
- Pediatricians: These doctors specialize in the treatment of infants, children and adolescents, generally 19 years old and younger. Parham Doctors' pediatricians provide care for the entire pediatric patient continuum, including giving immunizations, administering inpatient hospital care, conducting newborn hospital evaluations and conducting same-day sick visits, school physicals and well-child annual check-ups.
- Family practitioners: These doctors treat a wide range of medical concerns for patients of all ages and life stages—from infancy through adulthood. Parham Doctors' family practitioners are experts at preventive wellness, health maintenance exams and health education. They possess a broad knowledge base, treat many common problems and diagnose acute and chronic illnesses. Our family practitioners also supervise and coordinate issues requiring complex care, including arranging appropriate referrals for specialty care when necessary.
- Internal medicine/internists: Internal medicine practitioners, also called internists, care for adolescents and adults (18 years old and older in some practices, 16 years old and older in other practices) by coordinating overall medical care while managing acute medical problems. Parham Doctors' internists perform regular preventive health maintenance exams and screening tests. They are trained to deal with all medical problems and, similar to family practitioners, are equipped to determine when a referral for specialty care is necessary.
Types of appointments
There are many types of appointments at your physician's office. Each appointment "type" carries an allotted amount of time, based on how long it takes to diagnose, treat and advise the patient. The most important time-based designation that you will self-select on our site is "current" or "new" patient.Why schedule a primary care appointment before you get sick?
For new patients, our providers want to get to know you and understand your health background, and, for this reason, these appointments are longer and there are fewer of them. For current patients, we can consult on the ailment for which you're seeking treatment quickly, the appointment blocks are shorter and there are more of them as a result. Same-day visits become a more accessible option when you're an established patient of the practice, streamlining yours or your loved ones' care.
Choosing a primary care provider
Building a trusting relationship with your primary care provider is one of the most important things you can do to optimize your health. When choosing a primary care physician, consider asking:
- Is the office in a convenient location?
- Do the office hours work with my schedule?
- How easy is it to reach my doctor?
- Can I schedule my visit online?
- Can I pay my bill online?
- Is the office taking new patients right away?
- Will the doctor refer me to specialists for more focused care?
- Does the doctor invite me to be involved with my care?