Richmond, Virginia’s Experts in Sports and Exercise Injuries
Don’t be sidelined with a sports or exercise injury. Get back in the game and enjoy your active lifestyle with Central Virginia’s orthopedic and sports medicine team at The Orthopedic Hospital at Parham Doctor’s Hospital in Henrico.
We offer individualized evaluation, rehabilitation, treatment, and injury-prevention plans for athletes, active adults, and weekend warriors, alike. Our expert, multidisciplinary team includes sports medicine specialists, fellowship-trained orthopedic surgeons, and licensed physical therapists with experience in rehabilitating sports- and exercise-related injuries. We’re all working for you.
Sports-Related Injuries and Conditions We Treat
Parham Doctors’ Hospital evaluates, treats, and rehabilitates a range of conditions resulting from sports injuries, helping to prevent further injuries and providing cutting-edge treatments. Common sports-related pain and injuries include:
- Ankle/foot pain and injury: ankle sprains, high ankle sprains, Achilles tendon injuries, stress fractures, ligament inflammation (plantar fasciitis)
- Back pain and injury: muscle strain, ligament sprain, disc disorders, fractures
- Concussions: traumatic impact to the head causing dizziness, drowsiness, blurry vision, and other symptoms
- Elbow pain and injury: ligament tears as in tennis or golf elbow, bursitis, dislocation, tendon ruptures
- Hip pain and injury: hip pointer or contusion, hip flexor strain, labral tears of cartilage, or quadriceps strains, dislocations, bursitis
- Knee pain and injury: anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) and posterior cruciate ligament (PCL) tears, meniscus tears, jumper’s knee (patellar tendonitis), patellofemoral syndrome
- Shoulder pain and injury: labral tears of cartilage, dislocations, rotator cuff tears, biceps injuries, nerve impingement, fractures
- Wrist/hand pain and injury: ligament tears, tendonitis, nerve injuries, stress fractures
Sports Injury Services in Henrico, Virginia
We offer nonsurgical, surgical, and rehabilitative therapies to get you back in the game and reduce the risk for re-injury. If you need surgery, our expert orthopedic surgeons and neurosurgeons are standing by, ready to assist.
Nonsurgical Sports Injury Care
Our nonsurgical sports-related injury treatments and services include:
- Physical therapy and rehabilitation: As a first line of treatment or after surgery to restore strength, movement, and endurance. We help you manage pain and prevent further damage or re-injury with customized programs. We also offer custom orthotics services.
- Pain management therapies: Including injections, selective nerve root blocks, platelet-rich plasma (PRP), and nerve stimulation techniques
- Concussion management: Our experienced doctors recognize the symptoms of concussions. We offer neurological evaluation and clearance to return to activity safely.
- Sports injury prevention and safety: Customized programs to help you use proper techniques to avoid injuries. This ranges from gait analysis for runners to tips for protecting your shoulder while playing golf.
- Sports physicals: We offer medical evaluation to ensure your student athlete is healthy and ready for safe play.
Sports Injury Surgery at Parham Doctors’ Hospital
The orthopedic surgeons at The Orthopedic Hospital at Parham Doctors’ Hospital perform minimally invasive arthroscopic surgery which involves small incisions and inserting a lighted tube into the joint. This allows surgeons to diagnose your condition and perform a variety of procedures on ligaments, bones, cartilage, or tendons.
Common sports-related surgeries we offer include:
- Cartilage reconstruction: Repair or replace cartilage loss or damage in the knees using innovative techniques.
- Elbow tendon repair: Reattach the distal biceps tendon to the lower arm bone.
- Knee ligament repair and reconstruction: : Including the anterior cruciate ligament (ACL), posterior cruciate ligament (PCL), medial collateral ligament (MCL), and the lateral collateral ligament (LCL).
- Joint replacement: Replace joint surfaces with artificial implants, such as shoulder, knee, and hip replacements.
- Meniscus surgery: Trim or remove torn cartilage in the knee.
- Rotator cuff shoulder repair: Reattach the tendon to the upper arm bone in a complete tear. In a partial tear, the surgeon trims and smooths the tendon and bone.
- Tommy John surgery: Replace an injured ulnar collateral ligament in the elbow with a tendon taken from another part of the body
A Team Approach to Sports Medicine Injury and Care
You don’t have to be a professional athlete to be treated like one. At Parham Doctors’ Hospital our patients continuously give us high scores in satisfaction because we offer:
- Recognition for excellence and quality. Healthgrades, a leader in making information about physicians and hospitals more accessible and transparent, named us among America’s 100 Best for orthopedic surgery.
- Combined expertise of teams working for you. You benefit from shared clinical expertise of board-certified primary care sports medicine physicians, fellowship trained orthopedic surgeons, and licensed therapists working for you.
- Comprehensive services, all in one place. From advanced diagnostics, to therapy and rehabilitation, to surgery and pain management programs, you can get everything you need in one place, from one team.
- Compassionate care throughout the journey. We’re here every step of the way with case management and care coordination customized to your needs.
- Convenient location. Located at Parham Doctors’ Hospital main campus, our sports therapy and fitness programs are convenient.
- Care in a full-service hospital. If you need surgery, it’s at a hospital with all the services and amenities you need for a comfortable recovery.
Renowned spine care specialists use innovative technology to pinpoint and treat your back or neck pain, fast. Learn about our collaborative approach to spine care.