Award-Winning Back and Spine Care in Central Virginia
You want the finest care, advanced tools and techniques, and the most experienced team working together to resolve your back or neck pain. Recognized by Healthgrades as a Five-Star Recipient for Back Surgery, Parham Doctors’ Hospital is the best choice in the region for the highest quality nonsurgical and surgical spine treatments that offer faster recovery and less pain.
Health Risk Assessments
Find out how healthy you are by taking our FREE online health risk assessments:
Accredited by the Joint Commission for spinal fusion, our expert spine surgeons stay at the forefront of medicine, using advanced tools and techniques, including biologics and stem cells for spine surgery. That means our spine care surgeons and neurosurgeons perform the most complex procedures in the region.
Neck and Back Conditions We Treat
Back or neck pain is caused by damage from injury, disease, or wear and tear to the spinal bones (called vertebrae), muscles, nerves, discs (cushion between the vertebrae), or tendons. Pain can happen in the cervical (neck), thoracic (middle), or lumbar (lower) areas of the spine.
The orthopedic and spine teams at Parham Doctors’ Hospital use a multispecialty approach to diagnose and care for your condition. We treat a wide range of back and spine conditions, including:
- Bone spurs: bone overgrowths
- Degenerative disc disease: breakdown of the discs
- Herniated discs: ruptured or bulged discs
- Osteoarthritis: cartilage in the joints wears down
- Sciatica: nerve irritation
- Scoliosis and kyphosis: spinal curvature
- Spinal stenosis and myelopathy: narrowing of the spinal canal
- Spinal tumors and cancer: growths in or around the spinal column or cord
- Spine fractures: caused by trauma, injury, or arthritis
- Spine infections: osteomyelitis
- Spondylolisthesis: one vertebra slips over another
- Sports injuries: caused by repetitive movements or trauma
Nonsurgical and Minimally Invasive Back and Neck Treatment
We evaluate your overall health and lifestyle to recommend the safest, and most appropriate treatments. Parham Doctors’ Hospital offers nonsurgical and minimally invasive therapies, such as:
- Physical therapy and rehabilitation: Strengthen and stabilize the core using medically supervised plans developed by board-certified physical therapy doctors called physiatrists.
- Spinal injections: Involve image-guided technology to deliver medications to relieve pain and reduce inflammation. These include epidural steroid injections, facet joint injections, sacroiliac joint injections, nerve blocks, and trigger point injections.
- Nerve stimulation techniques: Deliver low-voltage electrical current to relieve pain, as in transcutaneous nerve stimulation (TENS) therapy and implanted peripheral nerve stimulation (PNS) devices.
- Interventional spine procedures: For example, radiofrequency ablation that uses heat to destroy tissue, such as tumors or the sensory nerves that cause pain. We also perform vertebroplasty and kyphoplasty for spinal fractures.
Advanced Spine Surgery at Parham Doctors’ Hospital
The renowned spine surgeons at Parham Doctors’ Hospital are leading the way in spine care and surgery. We’re continually finding new and better ways to treat spine conditions, using bioresorbable spinal implant devices (short-term, corrective frames that gently dissolve) and spinal tissue regeneration, and pioneering techniques for cervical spine disorders. In fact, we were the first in Central Virginia to perform cervical artificial disc replacement.
We offer a variety of spine surgeries including:
- Digital biplane angiography (3DBRA): Advanced imaging that creates a roadmap of your blood vessels to precisely locate and treat injury.
- Discectomy/microdiscectomy: Removes all or part of the disc, or the cushion between the vertebrae.
- Laminectomy or laminotomy: Removes part of the back bone which covers the spinal canal to relieve pressure on the spinal nerves. Often performed with spinal fusion surgery.
- Foraminotomy: Removes bone or tissue to open the space where the nerves leave the spinal canal, sometimes also performed with spinal fusion surgery.
- Disc replacement surgery: Replaces a damaged disc with an artificial one. We offer cervical and lumbar disc replacement surgeries, including advanced procedures such as 2-level cervical disc replacement for degenerative disc disease, and anterior (front) cervical discectomy and fusion techniques.
- Kyphoplasty/vertebroplasty: Treats spinal fractures, eases pain, and restores height. Kyphoplasty uses a balloon to create a space, which is filled with medical cement. In vertebroplasty, medical cement is injected into the spongy vertebral bone.
- Spinal fusion: Increases spine stability by joining two vertebrae using bone grafts and sometimes implants, such as rods and screws. We offer XLIF, or eXtreme Lateral Interbody Fusion, a minimally invasive technique to access the spine through the side (lateral). We also use bioresorbable implants that eventually disappear.
The Best Spine and Back Care in Central Virginia
Parham Doctors’ Hospital offers the highest quality orthopedic and spine care and is committed to restoring your health and quality of life. Patients choose us for:
- Programs accredited by The Joint Commission. Our spinal fusion program is approved by the nation’s leading authority on quality care, outcomes, and continuous improvement.
- Recognition for excellence and quality. Healthgrades, a leader in making information about physicians and hospitals more accessible and transparent, gives our back surgery a five-star rating for excellence.
- Multispecialty care from a team dedicated to you. Our team includes board-certified and fellowship trained doctors and orthopedic surgeons, neurosurgeons, physiatrists, anesthesiologists, pain management specialists, and family practitioners who work together to provide whole-patient care.
- Compassionate care throughout the journey. We’re here every step of the way with case management and care coordination customized to your needs.
- Advanced diagnostic imaging tools. Including the 3.0 Tesla MRI, an open MRI, and a large-opening CT scanner with tumor localization that allow for more precise diagnosis and treatment.
- Specialized programs before and after surgery. In addition to advanced diagnostics, our hospital also offers pain management services and both inpatient and outpatient rehabilitation from licensed therapists who understand spinal conditions. This means you can get everything you need in one place, from one team.
- Care in a full-service hospital. If you need surgery, it’s at a hospital with all the services and amenities you need for a comfortable recovery.