If you have consistent trouble sleeping, you may be one of the approximately 40 million Americans suffering from a sleep disorder. While there are over 80 different sleep disorders that can limit your quality of life and result in poor health, many of them share the same symptoms. At Parham Doctors’ Hospital, we can help diagnose and treat you or someone you love who has a sleep disorder.
Common Symptoms of a Sleep Disorder:
- Impaired Memory
- Daytime Sleepiness
- Daytime Irritability
- Inability to Concentrate
- Loud Snoring
- Periods of Not Breathing (Apnea)
- Morning Headaches
- Limited Attention
- Restless Legs
Is a sleep study for you?
A sleep study is used to help detect and diagnose sleep disorders. During the overnight evaluation, registered technologists measure your eye and muscle movements, brain activity, heart rate, breathing pattern and depth, and percent saturation of your red blood cells with oxygen.
If you answer “YES” to two or more of the following questions you just may have a sleep disorder. It may be a good idea to schedule an appointment with your physician and share your concerns.
- Do you have trouble falling asleep at night?
- Do you wake often during the night?
- Do you wake too early in the morning?
- Do you always feel sleepy, even after a "full" night's sleep?
- Do you snore loudly?
- Has anyone noticed you stop breathing during sleep?
- Do you often walk or talk in your sleep?
- When falling asleep, do you feel paralyzed or unable to move?
- Do you have nightmares or find yourself hallucinating?
Your doctor may recommend a sleep study to help diagnose a sleeping disorder and get you on your way to a good night's sleep. If you would like more information about sleep studies at Parham Doctors’ Hospital, call us at (804) 527-5851. Our fax number is (804) 527-5854.